Just like us humans, as our pets age they sometimes need some assistance with their health. From diet and weight control to cat joint health, considering proactive measures to ensure your felines age gracefully well into their senior years can be as simple as promoting a healthy diet. While sustaining a diet that promotes good health their whole lives is ideal, once your cats start showing the signs of hip or joint pain you should consider addressing their needs through their diet. Joint health for felines can be easily managed; watching their weight and adding natural additives and even supplements for cats that help promote joint health can make huge improvements to their comfort and active lives. Below we’ve put together a short list of herbs, vitamins and oils you can mix in with your cat’s food to help boost those bone and cartilage growth and repair.
Cat Joint Health – Easy Additives Through Diet and Nutrition
If you’ve got a kitty who happens to be a bit on the plump side of things, watching their weight, getting them more active and getting them to trim down a bit can be beneficial if you notice them getting stiff or showing signs of joint discomfort or pain. Adding in joint supplements for cats can really help boost healing and repair properties that’ll relieve some (and in some cases all) of that discomfort – maximizing hip and joint health can be a huge step in helping your cats live healthily and pain free well into old age. If you’re looking for some great natural remedies or supplements for cats to boost cat joint health or ease some of your senior cat’s discomfort, you’re in the right place!
- Turmeric – That’s right! Straight out of your spice cabinet, you can find Turmeric. Among other impressive qualities, Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory. You can sprinkle it on their food or, if you need a bit more bang, you might consider searching for a pet friendly supplement.
- Bone Broth – If you’ve never heard of the magical healing powers of bone broth, you’re missing out! It’s great for people, but it has benefits for our pets, too. Preparing it can be a bit time consuming, and you’ll want to make sure you’ve gotten any bone fragments out. Once prepared though, you can’t beat the healing powers of magnesium, calcium, phosphorous and glucosamine.
- Gelatin – Adding gelatin to your kitty’s diet can assist with the repair of connective tissues. The amino acids it contains can also help fix up your cat’s tendons and ligaments!
- Fish Oil – This list is starting to sound like a good idea for you too, isn’t it! Just like for people, those healthy Omega-3 fatty acids are super beneficial to your cat’s health. Omega-3s can help control inflammation and pain. Be careful though, they tend to add calories so balance out your cat’s diet appropriately.
- Dietary Supplements – A great way to help balance out cat joint health is by proactively taking care of their nutritional needs all around. Adding a healthy, natural dietary supplement that supports overall health is easy and can nip issues in the bud. By promoting great digestion and keeping your pet in prime health, it’s easier to pinpoint other issues like joint pain or other age related illnesses.
- Green Lipped Mussel Extract (GLME) – Glucosamine sulphate is the hot ticket ingredient that makes GLME so beneficial to cats with joint issues. It not only promotes cartilage growth and repair, but it has a long list of other beneficial attributes to help your cat’s health all around.
While there are plenty of other great natural remedies for cat arthritis and joint health, these are a few of the popular ones. As always, if your cat’s joint health continues to deteriorate without any relief or improvement, you might consider consulting your trusted veterinarian. We hope we’ve given you some ideas on how to help your senior cat get back to acting like a kitten soon!